Get acquainted with the Rockies on both land and water. This unique tour will expose you to the multi-faceted experience our surroundings have to offer. First, you will arrive at Barrier Lake Day Use Area where you will step into a large 25′ Voyageur canoe and set off for a paddle along the rugged shoreline of Barrier Lake, surrounded by fresh air, mountain views, and likely some wildlife. Barrier Lake is located just an hour drive from Calgary, AB.
Once you’ve returned to shore, you will have time for a self-sufficient picnic lunch, or time to enjoy one of the various restaurants in the valley before heading to Boundary Ranch and saddling up for your trail ride. You will ride through wooded trails, past glistening ponds, and take in the immensity of the magnificent Canadian Rockies.
This half-day adventure will be a great addition to your summer days and a perfect outing for couples and families with kids.
Minimum age: 6 years.
Duration: 7 hours including a free time of 3 hours.
A minimum of 4 participants is required to run the tour, with a max of 9.
Tour schedule: daily from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm*? times and days are subject to change and availability.
– Canoeing – 10:00 am to 12:00 pm;
– Lunch Break (lunch is not included) -12:00-2:00 pm;
– Horseback Ride – 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Guests are responsible for their transportation to Barrier Lake Day Use Area and Boundary Ranch.
All participants must sign a waiver.
The canoeing portion of the tour will be running rain or shine. Should our guides deem the conditions unsafe for paddling, we reserve the right to reschedule to a later date or cancel.
All horseback rides will go, unless canceled by Ranch Management for safety reasons such as hail, lightning, severe downpour, heavy wet snow, etc.
What to wear/bring:
– T-shirt or tank top (preferably not cotton as it will make you cold if you get wet),
– Shorts or quick-dry pants,
– Sun hat, sunglasses and sunscreen,
– Sandals or shoes that can get wet. YOUR FEET AND ANKLES WILL GET WET,
– Wind breaking or rain jacket and a light sweater if it’s a cooler day,
– Keep a towel and spare set of clothing in your car.
For Horseback Riding:
– Long pants and close-toed shoes (no sandals or crocs).
– Camel Back/Hydration bags are permitted but can not be removed during the ride
• Trail Riding Policies:
Items not allowed on rides: selfie sticks, backpacks, bags or purses, water bottles, smoking.
Guests must arrive a minimum of 30 minutes in advance of their scheduled departure time.
Boundary Ranch Trail Rides are strictly walking only. You are not allowed to trotting, loping, or gallop for the safety of yourself, others, and the insurance requirements.
Information on how to book this tour will be provided in your experience voucher.