Journey back into time and learn to be a Voyageur in the Big Canoe Boat.
Start your day at the Barrier Lake Day Use Area, where you will climb into our 25′ voyageur canoe and paddle the breathtaking Barrier Lake. Voyageurs were independent contractors, workers or minor partners in companies who engaged in the transporting of furs in the 17th -19th centuries by canoe during the fur trade years.
Experience portaging, paddling and lighting a no-match fire. Breath in the fresh mountain air and enjoy the 360-degree mountain view. While you explore watch for wildlife along the rugged shoreline.
Voyageur Canoe Tour is a leisurely paddle along the shore of the lake and is perfect for the whole family and no paddling experience is necessary. If your family or group of friends would like to have a private boat, please select the option Private Big Canoe Tour.
This tour will be a great outdoor adventure for friends and the entire family and a perfect addition to any of your summer visits to Kananaskis.
Minimum age: 2 years.
Duration: 2 hours.
Tour Time: daily from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm*, time may be subject to change.
Season: June to September.
A minimum of 4 participants is required to run the tour, with a max of 9. This also applies to Private Canoe Tour.
The tour will be running rain or shine. Should the guides deem the conditions unsafe for paddling, we reserve the right to reschedule to a later date or cancel.
Please dress appropriately for the weather.
Your tour includes:
– A professional tour guide,
– Canoe and all the necessary equipment,
– A life jacket.
What to wear:
– T-shirt or tank top (preferably not cotton as it will make you cold if you get wet),
– Shorts or quick dry pants,
– Sun hat, sunglasses and sunscreen,
– Sandals or shoes that can get wet. YOUR FEET AND ANKLES WILL GET WET,
– Wind breaking or rain jacket and a light sweater if it’s a cooler day,
– Keep a towel and spare set of clothing in your car.
Information on how to book this tour will be provided in your experience voucher.