Join one of the certified guides in the Kananaskis Village and explore the history of the Kananaskis’ own Ghost town Kovach and its Mine as you make your way along the Coal Mine trail. Kovach was a tiny town where the workers and their families from the coal mine once lived.
Your tour begins with a short shuttle to the trailhead, where traces of the mining camp remain. The hike takes you along the trail where horses used to cart the coal, to a stunning viewpoint where the mine scar is visible. Retrace your steps through the forest as you imagine walking home from a long day at the mine to your home in Kovach.
After our beautiful hike, you will return to the village where a cold pint of Ghost Town Ale or a Shirley temple awaits you. Bottled water and cookies will be provided on the tour.
Minimum age: 8 years, must be 18+ to have a beer.
Tour season: May to September.
Duration: 3 hours.
Tour schedule: daily from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Walking distance: 5 km hike with 250 m elevation gain.
Your tour includes:
– Friendly and professional tour guide,
– Transportation to/from the hike trailhead in a 15 passenger van,
– Bottled water and cookies will be provided on the hike,
– A pint of beer for regular adult vouchers; non-alcoholic drink for youth, child and non-beer adult vouchers.
The tour runs rain or shine. Should our guides deem the conditions unsafe for hiking, we reserve the right to reschedule to a later date.
All participants must sign a waver before starting the tour.
Please dress appropriately for the weather.
What to bring:
– Dress in layers: a base layer, insulation layer and wind layer are ideal at higher altitudes, even in the Summer. – Wool hiking socks and sturdy hiking boots or running shoes.
-Small day pack with water, snacks, sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and personal items, etc.
Information on how to book this tour will be provided in your experience voucher.